Want to be extra sure your patrons don’t get lost on the way to your study rooms or meeting spaces? There’s a simple way to let them know exactly where they are on your library’s floor plan.
By using one of our favorite free image editors, you can add as many of those little “You Are Here” symbols as you’d like. Then you can upload your updated floor plans with D!BS. It’s easy!
First things first: have an image of your library’s floor plan on hand.
Now, you could just upload the same floor plan to each of the rooms you feature in D!BS, and that would be fine—but you want to be more than fine, right?!
Marking every individual room that can be reserved using D!BS with a “You Are Here” symbol of some sort is going the extra mile, and your patrons will appreciate it.
Still, it can require making a lot of images, depending on how many rooms you make available with D!BS. So, rather than bringing your floor plan layout into Photoshop, placing a star on an individual room, saving the file, moving the star to a new room, saving that file, and so on, I’m going to show you a really easy way to accomplish the same thing using Canva.
You can use Canva to make all of your images—and all kinds of promotional images for your events, too—in only a few minutes. Just click on the video below to see how:
- Go to Canva.com.
- Determine the dimensions of your image.
- Click the custom dimensions link.
- Select the full image layout.
- Upload your layout.
- Drag and drop it onto your canvas.
- Go to the search bar and click shapes.
- Pick some sort of marker. (I’m going with a star.)
- Change the color and resize it to fit inside of your room.
- Under the 1 click the “duplicate page” icon.
- Move the star to the next room.
- Rinse and repeat until you have all the rooms marked.
- Click the Download or Link button.
- Choose Image under the Publish column.
This will give you one folder with all of your images in it—without having to save a thousand times. (You’re welcome!) The next step is to upload those images somewhere like Flickr, Picasa, etc.
Make sure you have each of the Web links to the images and then open up D!BS.
Adding the images to D!BS is just a matter of copy and pasting. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to Location Setup.
- Click on a branch.
- Click the edit icon next to the room.
- Past the URL of the image to your floor plan.
- Save and you’re done!
Taking It To The Next Level
Now, if you really want to take things up a notch and you have a little room in your budget, you can do a Google Street View inside of your building. It’s pretty mind-blowing. You can embed the Google map view on your website, and, when patrons look up your building on Google, they can find it there as well.
As always, if you have any questions for us, you can submit them with the comment form below.